Christmas: special time of the year? Perhaps for some. Maybe not for everyone.
I often wonder where I was and what I was doing when they were passing around the Christmas genes. I think I picked up some but clearly not others. For example –
Things about Christmas I loathe with a fiery passion:
- Christmas carols
- Secret Santa (work edition)
- Christmas decorations (especially tinsel)
- Navigating shopping centres, searching for gifts
- Large parties or gatherings where my dietary choices are loudly called into question. And judged.
But I love, love, love:
- Christmas movies (I can and often will watch them year-round)
- Secret Santa (online friends edition)
- Online shopping for gifts
- Christmas lights (my exception to the no Christmas decorations rule)
- Champagne for breakfast (my own personal Christmas tradition)
So basically, as a way of coping with Christmas this year, I’ll be the one walking around in public with my noise-cancelling headphones on to drown out the Christmas carols that are playing everywhere and carrying an EpiPen in case I accidentally touch tinsel. And then rushing home so I can watch Love Actually for the millionth time.
I’d be excited about the Christmas season ending if it didn’t send a signal to the Powers That Be that it’s now time to stock the grocery stores with hot cross buns.